Shade Tree Marketing – New Endeavor

Well my blog friends… I figured it’s about time that I finally updated my blog w/ a quick post to at the very least let you know what I’ve been up to since March (when I posted last – *sorry*) Brian Mark and I have been busy starting a new business – Shade Tree Marketing LLC – While the final paperwork is being finished up I figured I’d give a little background on the name…. A how we arrived @ STM.

Years ago (pre – 9/11) I was in the Timeshare industry selling timeshares! I know, I know, please don’t hold that against me! Anyways one thing I heard time and time again from the folks sitting in front of me was this – “We’d love to vacation more, We’d love to have a timeshare… someday” Well here’s the problem w/ that statement…

SOMEDAY never comes…

When your young & first married… you’re working on career’s – trying to find a first home, start a family, etc… etc… etc… and it’s not the right time to start vacationing… Then when your blessed w/ a family… it’s hard to travel w/ babies / small children (and the vacation becomes a much different experience). Then the kids get older, have soccer, baseball, ballet, horse camp, etc… Summers are pretty much booked solid. Then by the time the kids are in college – well you get the point – people can find all kinds of excuses as to why they cannot do the things they wanted to do when they were younger. Others jump in with both feet and make it work.

So back to the name of the new company… Shade Tree Marketing – When I would hear this “Someday we’d love to ________” I would stop them in their excuse making cycle and ask them this one question.

“When is the best time to plant a shade tree?”  - To which I would usually get a befuddled, deer caught in headlights look. And usually an answer like “I don’t know” or “Spring I think?”

The correct answer is 20 years ago! But since you didn’t plant your shade tree 20 years ago you cannot enjoy it’s shade today… So one more question for ya… “When is the Second best time to plant a shade tree?” TODAY! That’s it… get off your duff, stop procrastinating, and jump in – both feet… otherwise you’ll always be able to find excuses as to why you can’t succeed – whether that be in your personal life, social life, business life, family life, or online life.

Shade Tree Marketing doesn’t listen to excuses… we just jump in w/ both feet and produce results! What you do today will effect your future. Here’s my favorite quote from Henry Ford “If you think you can, or if you think you can’t, either way, you’re right.”

So one more question for you…. “When are you going to plant your Shade Tree?”

Best,

DB

David is the SEO Chief in Geek at MIND. He also Co-Hosts SEO 101 with Brian Mark where masses of newbs learn the SEO basics from square one! Have a question? Just ask or @neoblog.

11 Responses to “Shade Tree Marketing – New Endeavor”

1. Will Hanke
    May 15, 2009 at 11:01 am #

Yeah, I was going to name my company “Sitting on the Beach Drinking a Beer Marketing” on the same premise…

Will Hankes last blog post..The First Steps to Getting Your Business Online

2. David Brown
    May 15, 2009 at 11:12 am #

@Will Hanke: LOL… yeah we were thinking about that – but opted for a shorter domain ;)

3. Business Logos
    May 18, 2009 at 5:12 am #

Best of luck in your new venture. Sometimes it is best to dive in with both feet. Especially if you have a secured lifestyle and family support.

4. Regalsysteme für Paletten
    May 20, 2009 at 12:56 am #

Hello,

Nice post I Like your site very well and continue to do so. I have bookmarked your site.

5. Oliver Feakins
    May 31, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

Congrats on the partnership! Looking forward to seeing you around Lancaster.

6. David Brown
    June 1, 2009 at 7:19 am #

@Oliver Feakins: Thanks! Probably won’t be seeing me around Lancaster any time soon since I’m 4k miles away in Seattle ;)

7. Tai Slim
    June 15, 2009 at 7:55 pm #

Hi David, It is good to know about your new endeavour, Share Tree Marketing

All the best to you and Brian.

8. Jason
    July 1, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

Best of Luck on the New Endeavors!

Jasons last blog post..Adult Pro Cuff Jumping Stilts

9. itmoxodoelo
    July 17, 2009 at 10:10 pm #

Hello,

Need comparison about these two hosting services.

I’m interested in those two hosting companies, need some information from you guys.
    It would be better as fast as possible, because at the moment planning to develop little web service and few blogs.

Found Host1Plus and GoDaddy offers its hosting.
    Some time ago I had account on Hostmonster, but I don’t like it.

My friend using JustHost, but now its services going bad and bad… So please don’t offer it :)

Please share your opinions and your own experience.

10. local marketing
    July 28, 2009 at 8:19 pm #

Good point about procrastination, there’s no better time than the present to start a new endeavor.

11. Mark Alan Effinger
    September 1, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

Hi David – Joe B from PeoplePond.com reminded me to look you up.

Congrats. Isn’t it empowering to just DO? To hit it with speed and momentum and experience the wind in your… desktop speakers?

Keep us posted. If you need any local references, look no further.
    best,